Wednesday, August 06, 2008


So let me know what you think about a topic I've entitled "blogging etiquette." Is "lurking" on someone's blog such a terrible thing?

Let's say, hypothetically, you located a blog of a long, lost friend. Let's also say, hypothetically, this female friend is pregnant with twins, recently had a close relative from California die, and they also have a new cat at home. About week after you "lurked" on the blog, or, let's say, the next day even, while shopping you run into the same person you've been "lurking" on! Do you:

A. Ask her, "What's new with you?" then politely listen to her repeat to you what you already know about her life, trying very hard not to comment with, "Oh, I know. Your new cat is so adorable with those bright green eyes!";

B. Ask her, "What's new with you?" then once she begins telling you about what is new in her life, shyly interrupt and admit that you found and glanced through her blog so you already know that her cat's name is Fluffy and he's adorable; or

C. Strike up a conversation with her by saying, "Good to see you again! Hey, I'm really sorry about your grandpa. Are you getting excited for the arrival of Jack and Jill on May 22nd?" and make her wonder how in the heck you know all about her personal life when you haven't seen or talked to her in fifteen years.

I'm serious!! I'd love to hear what you have to say!!

8 comments:

Brooke said...

i absolutely would let her know that you were browsing and found her blog. people have to realize that when they blog and don't make it private that anyone can look. i also think that it is blog etiquette to leave a comment saying you found their blog.

Berrett Family said...

Seemings how I don't have my own blog, I have felt uncomfortable peeking at everyones even though they've sent me their site originally. So I'm glad to know you have the same ?'s as me. I think it's a great way to keep in touch, but I don't want to feel like i'm being snoopy! Great ? I hope to see others comments.

Sandra Dubreuil said...

I would just tell her. I've done that and just posted a comment saying I've found their blog through "so and so's" blog and then leave my blog's name. I've also had the same done to me. For me it was fine because I actually re-connected with some friends I hadn't been in contact with for about 5 years! It's fun now to chat through the blogs. Good luck deciding:)

RichKids said...

LOL...you are so funny! I would follow the exact conversation quoted in answer "C". That sounds just like me and my big mouth! LOL. I do think it would be polite to comment on her blog and let her know you have found it, but not likely something I would do...sorry to say. (And it sounds like, hypothetically, you didn't either!) I, personally, however, post my blog so that long lost friends can see what we are doing and how our lives have progressed and I would be happy and excited to find that someone had found me and had seen my blog...so, I am sure she wouldn't mind.:0)

Natalie Redd said...

hahaha, this really is hypothetical! I'm serious! My mom and I were laughing so hard about this because really, what do you say?

I personally think you should maybe do a tamer version of C - get it out in the open that you found the blog, you've seen what's going on, and then discuss your lives further. I also agree with commenting once you originally find the blog. I love to know who's out there, and I'm sure everyone else does too...

Lindsay said...

haha mom and i were laughing about this, too. that happened to me once and i choked and did option A. i guess that's the wrong thing to do?

Lemon Annie said...

Blogger etiquette is a toughy. I probably wouldn't have mentioned it although you probably should. But, that is just me.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I am a lurker! When I get on to looks at Trisha's Blog , I always click on your's and then from there I click on Loo's. I love to see what is going on with you guys, but I never leave a comment! According to etiquette, I guess I should start...